Saturday, January 5, 2013

13.1 #1...Running with Friends

One of my goals for 2013 is to run thirteen 13.1 (runs/races) and today I ran my first one of the year! I am still technically in "pre-training" mode for my 50 miler, my official training won't start until mid-February (16 weeks out from the race). So for now, I am just trying to build up my weekend runs so I am ready to start my training cycle with 16-20 mile back to back long runs when the time comes. It was a beautiful, but cold morning for a run, but the miles seemed to fly by I chatted with some wonderful running friends.

After my third marathon in March 2011, and logging hundreds of miles by myself, I knew I needed a change. I needed to follow a true training plan, I needed to find new routes, I needed friends to run those long, grueling miles with. And I found all three, with the Potomac River Running's Distance Training Program! Now after participating in 4 "sessions" of the DTP, I have run 2 more marathons, several half marathons and a 50k trail run, I have run a PR in nearly every race and met many amazing people who simply love to run! Following each and every run I am more and more grateful for my running family!

I feel very lucky to have found a group of extraordinary people who share my passion for running and for life. Running for miles and miles alone can be amazingly therapeutic and great for the soul. I find it gives me time to think things through, make plans, often gain a new perspective on any given situation. But it can also be very lonely, especially when you are by yourself day after day, long run after long run! However nothing can replace the time spent running with friends! We have a saying, "what is said on the run, stays on the run!" And this is so true. While pounding the pavement for, sometimes, hours it is amazing how much you learn about each other. It is an intimate time spent, talking, sharing, laughing, crying, yelling, whooping and sometime running silent.

Today was one of those days, where I met up with my usual group of friends and headed out on the trail, but within the first few miles ran up on several other friends that I haven't run with in months. As we continued along the path, feeling the warmth of the sun on our faces, we all remarked how lucky we are to spend this time running along the trail with each other, catching up on life, greeting other runners along the way, pushing each other, encouraging each other, holding each other accountable and rejoicing together when we complete our goal.

As I headed home feeling satisfied with myself for completely my first 13.1 for the year, I was also thankful for having such an amazing group of running friends to share my miles with! And I look forward to our next run and many more miles together.

No comments:

Post a Comment